Scaling & Root Planing – Panama City, FL
Deep Dental Cleaning to Address Gum Disease
Gum disease is a potentially devastating oral health condition that can lead to tooth loss. It is also a risk factor for a number of serious systemic health conditions. Fortunately, Baldwin Family Dental offers treatments that can help you get your smile back on track, including scaling and root planing in Panama City. Read on below to learn more about this minimally invasive way to fight back against the ravages of gum disease.
Why Choose Baldwin Family Dental for Scaling & Root Planing?
- Highly Skilled Dental Team
- Gentle, Compassionate Treatment
- Get Gum Disease under Control
How Does Scaling & Root Planing Work?
Scaling and root planing is essentially a deep cleaning of the mouth. It is a two-part process. During the scaling portion of treatment, we use special tools to remove the plaque and tartar from your teeth. Unlike a regular dental cleaning, we clean both above and below the gumline. This removes the harmful bacteria that are attacking your gum tissue.
During the root planing process, we smooth out the roots of the teeth. This makes it more difficult for bacteria to cling to them, resulting in a lower risk of future reinfection.
Depending on the extent of your gum disease, scaling and root planing may take one or more appointments. We often use local anesthesia to ensure patients are as comfortable as possible while our team is working.
Who Is a Candidate for Scaling & Root Planing?
Many patients with mild to moderate gum disease are good candidate for scaling and root planing. If your gum disease is severe, you may need a more invasive treatment, in which case we might refer you to a specialist.
Here are some signs that you might benefit from scaling and root planing:
- Your gums are red and inflamed.
- You are experiencing increased dental sensitivity.
- Your gums bleed easily when you brush.
- Your teeth appear longer than they used to.
- There are noticeable pockets between your teeth and gums.
Why Is the Procedure Beneficial?
Some benefits of scaling and root planing include:
- It is minimally invasive, making it more conservative than surgical gum disease treatment in Panama City.
- It reduces the risk of future reinfection.
- By fighting back against gum disease, you can lower your risk of heart problems and other serious medical conditions.
- It can protect the functioning of your immune system.
Your mouth may need some extra care following your scaling and root planing procedure. Here are a few guidelines to help you out:
- If you received anesthesia, you should avoid eating until your mouth regains full sensation.
- For the first 48 hours, eat soft foods.
- Avoid smoking, using tobacco, and drinking alcohol for at least 3 days.
- Take any medications as instructions.
- Rinse with warm salt water to minimize discomfort and inflammation.
- Continue to perform your oral hygiene routine, but be extra careful around your gumline and only use a soft-bristled toothbrush.
Do you have questions about scaling and root planing? Our team is ready to speak with you. Contact us today.